These instructions are not intended to show product recommendations for specific service. They are issued as an aid in determining correct surface preparation, mixing instructions and application procedure. These instructions should be followed closely to obtain the maximum result from the products.
Important: If the intended application area has residual of a previous coating (e.g. paint, sealer) or was treated with a silicate, do not use Smith’s Base Boost. Do not use for application to micro-toppings or overlay systems
Area Preparation: Be sure to mask or cover all areas that are not intended to be stained or treated with Smith’s Base Boost including but not limited to door frames, doors, walls and windows.
Surface Preparation: The surface preparation phase of “Staining a Concrete Floor” should be viewed as the most important. Proper floor preparation results in the stains longevity, minimizes potential failures and creates the best environment for an aesthetically pleasing work of art. In short, the more detail and time allotted to this phase of the project will dramatically affect the appearance and durability of the finished product.
The surface must be free of all foreign materials that would inhibit the absorption of the combination Smith’s Color Floor/Color Wall stain with the Smith’s Base Boost. Foreign materials include, but are not limited to grease, dirt, glue, and previous coatings.
Do not use a muriatic acid etch as a cleaning method.
Horizontal Application :
Exterior – broom Anish
1) Broom finishes may result in high profiles or peaks in the substrate which erode faster than the remaining substrate. Remove these unstable sections by simply running an ice scrapper or other metal object over the substrate. Extract debris from substrate. This step will enhance the longevity and durability of the install.
2) Apply Smith’s Green Clean following the instructions for Exterior & Interior
1) Remove paint, adhesives and loose particulates from the intended application surface.
2) Liberally apply Smith’s Green Clean to a 20 x 20 feet section of the substrate with ½ inch nap roller cover.
Exterior & Interior
1) Remove paint, adhesives and loose particulates from the intended application surface.
2) Liberally apply Smith’s Green Clean to a 20 x 20 foot section of the substrate with ½ inch nap roller cover.
3) Allow the gel to remain on the substrate for 20minutes.Interiors — use of power wash is not applicable:
4) Agitate Smith’s Green Clean utilizing a floor buffer (small area) or an auto-scrubber (large area) equipped with brush attachments while rinsing with clean water.
5) Extract material utilizing a wet/dry vacuum or lower the squeegee uptake bar on the auto-scrubber. Continue to flush and agitate the substrate until the rinse water is clear and surface is free of gel residue. Areas that can be pressure washed:
6) Remove Smith’s Green Clean Cleaning from the surface using a power washer* with overlapping line patterns.
7) Allow the area to dry adequately before performing a Tape Test. Upon the completion of a successful Test begin the application of Smith’s Stains.
* Power wash = 0 degree rotating nozzle with 12,000 work units (Work Units = Gallons per Minute x PSI)
Note: If additional pro9le is desired, reapply Smith’s Green Clean following the previous directions.
1) 1st Pass = 40 grit metal bonded diamonds if the surface requires (e.g. adhesives, profile irregularities)
2) 2nd Pass = 150 grit metal bonded diamonds.
3) Remove excess dust with vacuum.
4) Remove remaining dust with dry mop or wet mop until floor is completely free of foreign materials and dust.
1) Open the pores of the surface via power washing*. Use a parallel overlapping line pattern to insure a properly cleaned surface.
*Power wash = 0 degree rotating nozzle with 12,000work units (Work Units = Gallons per Minute x PSI)
Tape Test: A tape test will help determine the effectiveness of the cleaning process. After the substrate has been cleaned and allowed to dry; apply several 1 foot strips of high quality 2” packaging tape to various locations on the surface. Aggressively press the tape onto the substrate with the heel of your hand. Fold one end of the tape onto itself and pull it as vigorously as possible. Examine the adhesive layer in a bright light looking for residue that was pulled from the surface. Little to no dust or other foreign particles should be visible. Areas with visible foreign material need to be scrubbed and rinsed until the surface is free of these contaminants.
Dilution/Mixing: Smith’s Color Floor or Color Wall is supplied as a concentrate. The recommended dilution ratio is 1 part Smith’s Color concentrate, 2 parts Smith’s Base Boost to 2 parts distilled, deionized or reverse osmosis water. Thorough mixing will result in ready to use stain.
Note: Our research has shown that “hard” water (water with excess amount of magnesium, calcium and various other charged ions) has an adverse effect on Smith’s Color Floor and Color Wall resulting in less than optimal adhesion and longevity. Furthermore, we have found that water is not consistent over time, even from the same source. Therefore, in order to achieve maximum service distilled, deionized or reverse osmosis water is recommended.
Thinning: The recommended dilution ratio for Smith’s Color Floor/Color Wall with Base Boost can be found in Dilution/Mixing section. Increased transparency as well as lighter color shade can be achieved by increasing the dilution ratio (amount of water added). The dilution ratio should not surpass1 part Smith’s Color concentrate, 4 parts Base Boost to 4 parts distilled, deionized or reverse osmosis water.
High Hide: Apply Smith’s Base Boost directly to the substrate via roller application. Decreasing the dilution ratio (e.g. 1 part concentrate to 1 part water) will increase hide or opacity of Smith’s Color Floor/ Color Wall – Classic series. This allows the applicator to cover blemishes as well as achieve uniformity on different integrally colored surfaces.
Note: Lower temperature will result in a longer time period for Smith’s Green Clean to achieve the proper surface profile.
To achieve a natural variegate or mottled appearance, Smith’s Stain with Base Boost should be applied by creating a mist via an airless sprayer, high volume low pressure (HVLP) sprayer, production gun, pump sprayer or trigger spray bottle. A variegated or natural finish is achieved through the various absorbencies of the surface material as well as the accumulation of the color pigments. Roller application methods force absorption of the diluted stain resulting in mechanical lines. For High Hide applications, the use of a roller results in a more monotone or painted appearance.
Brush/Sea Sponge Application: For application areas where coverage and product control is warranted, apply Smith’s Stain with Base Boost using a sea sponge or traditional bristle brush (e.g. corners and faux finishes). Using this method of application may result in the appearance of mechanical lines.
Do not add Smith’s Base Boost when applying secondary/highlight color: To achieve increased color depth or mottled appearance. A secondary or highlight color can be applied as soon as initial Smith’s Stain with Base Boost is dry to the touch(approximately 15 minutes).
DO NOT add the Smith’s Base Boost to Smith’s Color Floor/Color Wall for secondary or highlight colors.
Note: Smith’s Base Boost should only be used for base colors. Secondary or Highlight colors should not have the Smith’s Base Boost added to the Smith’s Concentrate.
Dry Times: (optimal)
|Temperature||Relative Humidity||Dry to the Touch||Final Cure/ Sealer Coat|
|70°F||30%||20-30 min||24 hours|
Note: Cool temperatures and high humidity will lengthen dry and cure times. Dry time can be shortened by increasing temperature and air flow. Adhesion and coating strength will develop with time.
Clean Up: Immediately clean-up work area and tools with water while Smith’s Stains are still wet.
Upon information, belief and to the best of our knowledge, the information contained herein is true and accurate as of the date of issuance of this particular product and any and all information conveyed, expressed or implied is subject to change without prior notice. We guarantee our products to conform to Smith Paint Products’ quality control mechanisms, but not to any other standards. We assume no responsibility for coverage, performance or injuries resulting from use, misuse or uses not described in any promotional materials. Promotional materials are not a supplementation to any contract or expand any term or condition of the product purchase agreement, if any is reduced to writing. At the discretion of Smith Paints Products, liability, if any, is limited to replacement of the purchased product upon presentation of valid sales receipt or invoice, and no damages for any consequential, liquidated or other damages are provided under this Limitation of Liability and Limited Warranty. NO OTHER WARRANTY OR GUARANTY OF ANY KIND IS MADE BY SMITH PAINT PRODUCTS, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY, BY OPERATION OF LAW, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. DO NOT PURCHASE AND USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE NOT AGREED TO THE ABOVE TERMS.
The post Smiths Paint Base Boost Application Instructions first appeared on Flooring Supply Shop Blog.