Bathroom remodels are one of the more popular and exciting renovations that a homeowner can undertake. Creating that beautiful walk-in shower; elegant, two-person vanity; and luxurious tile floor is the subject of many homeowners’ fantasies.
However, despite the enthusiasm with which many people approach most bathroom remodeling projects, one of the most important aspects of a quality bathroom often gets overlooked: the shower drain.
A good shower drain will serve a variety of purposes, including the following:
- Provide a complementary aspect to the overall decor of your bathroom
- Prevent any puddling in the shower bed that can lead to unsightly residue
- Effectively catch any debris that may lead to plumbing issues
To this effect, not all shower drains are created equal. While there are a number of solid options available on the market, the Serene Drains offered by the Flooring Supply Shop offer industry-leading features in their modern drain products.
Serene Square Drains are a type of point drain, which is generally the most common type of drain found in residential showers.
For those showers using a point drain system, the shower floor is designed into a sort of funnel, in which the floor is gently sloped from the outside into a “point” in the center of the shower, where the drain then allows the used water to flow from the shower and into the pipe system.
When looking through the Serene Square Drain catalog, there are a few important points to consider when choosing a point drain system:
- Point drains are typically the most economical drain choice, making them a strong option for modest bathroom and shower designs or sizes
- When using this type of drain, smaller floor tiles must be used on your shower bed in order to create the funnel-like effect that is characteristic of a point drain
- If a Serene Square Drain is chosen, you will likely want to use square tiles on your shower floor as well. It is a bit awkward to combine a square drain with flooring tile of different shapes
Although not quite as popular as point shower drains, linear shower drains are becoming an increasingly trendy choice in home showers.
Unlike a point drain system that slopes gently toward the center, a linear drain system slopes gently toward a specified edge of the shower, where the water escapes via a long, straight, bar-like drain.
If a Serene Linear Shower Drain piques your interest, consider the following points:
- Linear shower drains range in size from as short as 16 inches to as long as 60 inches. They can also be fabricated in a dual drain structure. As such, linear drains tend to be a bit more expensive than point drains
- Because they are located on the side of the shower, linear drains can be used with large, single-piece flooring tiles, making for a smoother transition between the shower floor and bathroom floor
- Linear shower drains are becoming a preferred option in luxury bathroom remodels
Decorative Drains vs. Invisible Drains
Thanks to the industry-leading features offered when choosing Serene Drains, homeowners can decide if they want their shower drain to be used for decorative purposes or be largely invisible.
For bathrooms that have an industrial feel, with exposed pipes and prominent fixtures, it would be recommended to feature your shower drain as an important piece of this ambiance.
On the other hand, modern bathrooms that want their quartz countertops and luxury tile to take center stage may prefer a hidden shower drain, with tileable grates over the drain offering an aspect that is very hard to distinguish from the shower floor itself.
Although it may not be the first point that comes to mind when speaking of a bathroom remodel, choosing the appropriate shower drain is an important component in making your bathroom complete. Whether you want a point, linear, decorative, or invisible drain, the Serene Drain options offered by Flooring Supply Shop have a sleek and modern option sure to meet your needs.
Skylar Ross is a contributor to Innovative Building Materials. He is a blogger and content writer for the residential and commercial flooring industry. Skylar is focused on helping fellow homeowners, contractors, and manufacturers discover materials and methods of installation that increase property value, improve durability, and discover innovative flooring options for their home or commercial space.
Copyright © 2020 FlooringSupplyShop.com