Ez Backer Board Installation
ProPanel Lightweight Insulated Backer Board
Installation Method for Wall Application
Manufactured with high-density expanded polystyrene, alkaline resistant fiberglass mesh and a waterproof cementitious coating.
Wood Studs: Minimum Dimensions - 2" x 4" with maximum span of 16" o.c.
Fasten boards directly to studs using either the ProPanel 1 1/2" Assembled Cap Nail or the ProPanel Backer Board 1 1/4 " Tab Washer and 1 5/8" Corrosion Resistant Screw. Fasteners should be spaced a maximum of 8" apart, 25 per board. All fastener heads should be counter sunk flush with surface of the board
Steel Studs: Minimum Thickness - 20 gauge with maximum span of 16" o.c.
Fasten boards directly to studs using the ProPanel 1 1/4" Tab Washer and 1 5/8" Corrosion Resistant Screw. Fasteners should be spaced a maximum of 8" apart 25 per board. All washers should be counter sunk flush with surface of the board.
INSTALLATION OF ProPanel :
As ProPanel is 100% waterproof against moisture infiltration, the following steps should be followed to maintain the waterproof integrity of this product.
1/2" ProPanel - For Walls, Tubs & Ceilings
1. Attach to wall studs using appropriate fasteners every 8" o.c.
2. Apply a 1/4" bead of sealant to top edge of first board.
3. Install next board and apply fasteners.
4. Whenever two boards come together to make a joint apply a 1/4" bead of sealant.
5. Boards must be fitted tightly together allowing sealant to ooze at the joint.
6. Excess sealant should be spread thin creating a continuous seal at the joint.
7. Fasteners must be completely covered with a bead of sealant and spread to form a seal.
1. Fasten boards per OPTION 1 without the use of sealant.
2. Install boards leaving a 1/16" gap between boards.
3. Embed 2" fiberglass mesh with liquid water proofing membrane in all joints.
4. Fasteners must be completely covered with waterproofing to form a seal.
5. Allow 1st coat to dry and apply 2nd coat.
1/4" ProPanel is approved for floor installations.
COUNTERTOPS: 1/4" ProPanel
Install 3/4" exterior grade plywood across unit supports spaced 16" o.c. Maximum variation in plywood surface to be no more than 1/8" in 10" from required plane.
Fasten ProPanel to plywood using either ProPanel 1 1/2"Assembled Cap Nail or ProPanel 1 1/4" Tab Washer and1 5/8" Corrosion Resistant Screw. Fasteners should be spaced 8" o.c. All fastener heads should be countersunk flush with surface of the board.
The following steps must be followed to maintain the waterproof integrity of ProPanel.
1. Fasten ProPanel to plywood as outlined in FASTENING section.
2. Before installing the next board, apply a 1/4" bead of polyurethane sealant to the edges of the first board.
3. Install next board and apply fasteners as outlined above.
4. All boards must be fitted tightly together allowing sealant to ooze from joint.
5. All excess sealant should be spread thin ensuring a continuous seal at the joint.
6. All fasteners must be completely covered with a bead of polyurethane and spread to form a seal.
WOOD FLOOR INSTALLATION
GENERAL: All framing should comply with local building code requirements. Design specifications should provide support with a maximum allowable deflection of L/360 of the span under all intended loads.
The tile size should be at least 6" x 6". Architect, builder or design professional must specify location of control joints. Also see TCNA Handbook, Installation Method EJ171-Movement Joint Design Essentials, for industry guidelines.
Wood Floors: Minimum Thickness - 5/8" exterior grade plywood or OSB fastened and glued firmly to joists as per TCNA Handbook, Installation Method F175-07-Cementitious Foam Backer Board Dry-Set or Latex-Portland Cement Mortar.
Fasten boards directly to subfloor using either the ProPanel 1 1/2" Assembled Cap Nail or the ProPanel 1 1/4" Tab Washer and 1 5/8" Corrosion Resistant Screw or 0.113” x 1 1/2" round top ring shank nail. Fasteners should be spaced a maximum of 8" o.c. All fastener heads should be counter sunk flush with surface of the board.
1. Apply a setting bed of polymer modified mortar over subfloor with a 1/4" square notched trowel combing mortar into a ribbed bed.
2 .Install ProPanel to subfloor leaving a 1/8" gap between all boards.
3. All boards should be laid with staggered joints.
4. Fasten boards as outlined in the FASTENING section above.
5. Fill all joints with a polymer modified mortar and embed 2" fiberglass mesh.
NOTE: ProPanel is completely waterproof. If the area below the backerboard must be kept dry, all fastener penetrations and joints must be sealed with WaterArmor™ liquid waterproof membrane or equivalent.
CONCRETE FLOOR INSTALLATION
Concrete Floor: Concrete must be fully cured and clean.
1. Apply a setting bed of polymer modified mortar over concrete floor with a 1/4" square notched trowel combing mortar into a ribbed bed.
2. Any depressions should be filled with mortar.
3. Install ProPanel leaving a 1/8" gap between boards.
4. Make certain there are no voids beneath panel and that it is supported solidly.
5. All boards should be laid with staggered joints.
6. Allow mortar to harden before taping joints.
* Robinson-Type Floor Tester ASTM C-627 Residential & Light Commercial
* Test was conducted on 1/4" ProPanel
FASTENER AND POLYURETHANE USAGE QUANTITIES
Fasteners – 25 fasteners per board spaced every 8".
Polyurethane Sealant - Polyurethane sealant will cover approximately 3 boards per tube.
ProPanel™ Foam Based Backer Board is light in weight and heavy in duty!
Time saving Waterproof... Worry Free. The difference is CLEAR.
ProPanel delivers superior performance in resisting moisture and mold.
ProPanel, when tested by independent laboratories, using standard ASTM test methods, has the following performance properties:
|Hydrostatic Water Pressure Test||
|Resistance to Fungi||
|Resistance to Bacteria||
|Fastener Head Pull Through:||
* Test was conducted in accordance with ANSI A-118.10 Section 4.5-Waterproofness
• Moisture and mold resistant panel
• Lightweight less than 6 lbs per panel
• Easy to score, cut and install
• No mess installations - cut indoors
• Added insulation value to wall
• Will not rot or deteriorate
Preformed Product links